Research Focus: Control Systems for the Provision of Active Power Control (APC) Grid Reliability Services
Current Specific Research: Economic optimization of wind energy participation in ancillary service markets
Principal Adviser: Dr. Lucy Y. Pao
Jake's Personal Webpage: JakeAho.wordpress.com
Publications: (Click the respective icon for a PDF version.)
Google Scholar Citations
First Author Papers:
- J. Aho, A. Buckspan, F. Dunne, L. Pao, and P. Fleming, "Controlling Wind Energy for Utility Grid Reliability PREPRINT," Dynamic Systems & Control Magazine, Sept. 2013, Vol. 1 No. 3.
- J. Aho, A. Buckspan, L. Pao, and P. Fleming, "An Active Power Control System for Wind Turbines Capable of Primary and Secondary Frequency Control for Supporting Grid Reliability," 2012 AIAA/ASME Wind Symposium , Grapevine, TX, Jan. 2013.
- J. Aho, L. Pao, and J. Hauser, "Optimal Trajectory Tracking Control for Wind Turbines During Operating Region Transitions," in Proc. American Control Conf. , Washington D.C., Jun. 2013.
- J. Aho, A. Buckspan, J. Laks, P. Fleming, F. Dunne, M. Churchfield, L. Pao, and K. Johnson, "A Tutorial of Wind Turbine Control for Supporting Grid Frequency through Active Power Control," in Proc. American Control Conf. , Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Jun. 2012.
- J. Aho, and L. G. Kraft, "Control of a Wind Turbine with a Magnetic Continuously Variable Transmission for Mitigation of Torque Variations," in Proceedings of the 2011 AIAA/ASME Wind Symposium, Orlando, FL, Jan 2011.
- E. Ela, V. Gevorgian, P. Fleming, Y. C. Zhang, M. Singh, E. Muljadi, A. Scholbrock, J. Aho, A. Buckspan, L. Pao, V. Singhvi, A. Tuohy, P. Pourbeik, D. Brooks, and N. Bhatt, "Active Power Controls from Wind Power: Bridging the Gaps," Technical Report, NREL/TP-5D00-60574, Jan. 2014.
- A. Annaswamy, M. Amin, et al, "IEEE Vision for Smart Grid Controls: 2030 and Beyond," Technical Report, June 20, 2013.
- A. Buckspan, L. Pao, J. Aho, and P. Fleming, "Stability Analysis of a Wind Turbine Active Power Control System," in Proc. American Control Conf. , Washington D.C., Jun. 2013.
- A. Buckspan, J. Aho, P. Fleming, Y. Jeong, and L. Pao, "Combining Droop Curve Concepts with Control Systems for Wind Turbine Active Power Control," Proc. 2012 IEEE Symposium on Power Electronics and Machines in Wind Applications, Denver, CO, July 2012.
- M. Foley, J. Aho, and L. G. Kraft, "Control of Torque Variations in a 5MW Wind Turbine with Hydraulic Coupler," in 15th Yale Workshop on Adaptive and Learning Systems, New Haven, Conn., June 6-8 2011.
Wind Energy Reference Sites:
Wind Education Resources:
A Few Things Jake Likes:
- Energy (especially that clean stuff)
- Hiking and Camping
- And a whole lot more!
Thanks to Jeff Butterworth for providing the template for this website!